Kuwait, 23 May 2016: From 0 to 100 km/h in 3.2 seconds, from 0 to 200 km/h, 9.9 seconds and a top speed of 330 km/h. The Audi R8 naturally-aspirated V10 mid-engine thrills with up to 610 hp of power and responds instantly to throttle inputs. The new Audi R8 is the aerodynamic concept of a race car: it is the dynamic vanguard of Audi – no other car with the four rings is so close to car racing. The all-new Audi R8 V10 engine and V10 plus model are now available at Fouad Alghanim & Sons Automotive Company Audi Kuwait showroom.
“The Audi R8 was and will always be the sports car icon of the four rings,” says Mr. Tarek AlShafie General Manager & Dealer Principal - Audi Kuwait “from the stability and the dynamics of the quattro drive to the engine and the dual-clutch S-tronic transmission without forgetting the sporty sleek design of the lightweight body. The motorsport DNA of the all-new Audi R8 thrills your feelings with the way it drives, the way it sounds and the way it performs. With the all-new MMI, the virtual cockpit and the B&O sound system, it is a race car loaded with entertaining technology.”
Named “2016 World Performance Car” in the World Car Awards, the all-new Audi R8 promises tremendous performance and a highly emotional, dynamic drive. The all-new model is available in two engine versions – with the R8 V10 plus being the most powerful and fastest production Audi ever built. The top version 610 hp naturally-aspirated 5.2 liter V10 mid-engine sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 3.2 seconds, from 0 to 200 km/h in 9.9 seconds and has a governed top speed of 330 km/h. Like a race car engine, it has dry dump lubrication – meaning that its characteristic sound is now even fuller, and a sport exhaust system can be installed as an option. The fuel economy has been improved by up to 13 percent in the R8 model series compared to the previous model.
Fully variable torque distribution: the new quattro drive
In the powertrain, the lightning-quick shifts of the seven-speed S tronic dual-clutch transmission, an optimized mechanical differential lock and a new electro¬hydraulically activated multi-plate clutch work together. The actively cooled all-wheel drive system can distribute torque freely between the axles. The intelligent dynamic control system for the quattro drive is incorporated into the Audi drive select dynamic handling system that offers four basic modes.
In each mode, the new high-performance sports car expresses a different character – from relaxed freeway cruiser to race car on the circuit track. In the top R8 V10 plus model, a performance leather steering wheel is standard equipment.
In its performance mode, it offers three additional modes: dry, wet and snow. They make handling even more precise and sharper, tuned to the friction coefficient of the specific road surface. The new technology is also available on the R8 V10, including the steering wheel that is used to select the special modes.
Dry weight: 1,454 kg
The new Audi R8 V10 plus has a dry weight of just 1,454 kg. This was primarily due to its newly conceptualized Audi Space Frame (ASF) in multimaterial construction – which consists of aluminum and CFRP parts. The ASF weighs just 200 kg. The entire underbody has a smooth covering, like on a race car, and the air flow exits via a large diffuser. This increases downforce. At top speed, this amounts to 40 kg at the front axle and 100 kg at the rear axle. The large CFRP rear wing also plays an important role in attaining these top figures.
Exclusively for the driver: operating controls
Just like in a race car, the interior of the high-performance sports car focuses on the driver. The driver can read off all key information at a glance from the Audi virtual cockpit. The steering wheel, instrument cluster and road all line up along one central visual axis. Drivers can operate all important functions with the multifunction and satellite push-buttons without having to take their hands off the steering wheel or look away from the road.
The Audi virtual cockpit is user configurable, and it shows all displays in elaborate 3D graphics – if desired, with one large rev counter and auxiliary gages that show much more information, such as tire temperature and torque output. MMI navigation plus with MMI touch is standard equipment in the new R8. This high-end media center was designed to follow a simple operating logic.
Extreme lighting range: laser spot for the high beam headlight
The workmanship of the new R8 – which is handcrafted at a new plant near Neckarsulm – is superlative. Its range of optional technology components extends to the sound system from Bang & Olufsen and the Audi laser spot, which doubles the range of the high-beam light.
Sister models: Audi R8 LMS
No other production car with the four rings shows as much affinity for the race track as the new R8. This is also proven by its sister models – the new GT3 race car, the Audi R8 LMS. For the first time, Audi developed all two versions simultaneously, in order to optimally exploit synergies. Both the new Audi R8 and its motorsport variant, the R8 LMS, have made significant performance gains, thanks to the close cooperation between race car engineers, motorsport specialists and developers. Just ten weeks after its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show, the R8 LMS made its dazzling entrance on the 24 hour racing scene, seizing overall victory on the Nürburgring.
At a glance
The new Audi R8
- Naturally aspirated high-revving V10 with dry sump lubrication
- 5.2 liter displacement, two versions: 540 hp and 610 hp, 540 Nm or 560 Nm of torque at 6,500 rpm
- High-revving, spontaneous engine response, characteristic sound
- Cylinder on demand (COD), coasting mode, start-stop system, dual fuel injection, fuel consumption up to 13 percent lower than in previous model.
- Excellent driving performance: 0 – 100 km/h in 3.2 seconds, 0 – 200 km/ in 9.9 seconds, top speed of 330 km/h (on the R8 V10 plus)
- Lightning-fast shifts with seven-speed S tronic, shift-by-wire signal transmission
- Newly developed quattro permanent all-wheel drive with electro-hydraulically activated multi-plate clutch, fully variable distribution of drive torque, rear differential lock.
- Double wishbone suspensions, front and rear, optional Audi magnetic ride damper control
- High-performance brakes at all four wheels, optional ceramic brake disks
- Newly developed electromechanical steering, dynamic steering system as an alternative
- Standard 19 inch wheels with mixed tires, optional 20 inch wheels
- Audi drive select dynamic handling system with four standard modes; optional three additional performance modes for maximum dynamic performance (standard in V10 plus)
Exterior design and Audi Space Frame (ASF)
- Characteristically taut mid-engine sports car design
- Two-part sideblades, standard LED headlights, optional laser spot for high-beam, dynamic turn signals
- New Audi Space Frame in multimaterial construction made of aluminum and CFRP; ASF weighs 200 kg, vehicle dry weight 1,454 kg (R8 V10 plus)
- Top figures for torsional rigidity, crash safety and acoustics
- Aerodynamic concept focuses on high downforce figures
- Clean lines, monoposto arch in cockpit, hovering instrument panel
- Newly conceptualized sport seats, R8 V10 plus with lightweight bucket seats
- New colors and materials, many customization options
Controls & displays
- Controls are fully focused on the driver; all key functions are on the steering wheel
- Two steering wheel versions with two or four satellite buttons
- User-configurable Audi virtual cockpit that offers a 12.3 inch screen with brilliant, high-resolution displays is standard. Performance view shows additional information such as torque, power, oil and tire temperatures, g forces and lap times on the race track
Infotainment and Audi connect
- MMI navigation plus with MMI touch is standard, newly developed operating concept with flat hierarchies like on a smartphone, including free text search
- Technology is based on second generation modular infotainment platform (MIB)
- Audi connect, Audi phone box and sound system from Bang & Olufsen are optional
- Crafted at Audi Böllinger Höfe at the Audi production site in Neckarsulm
- Flexible and innovative production, high share of highly skilled handcrafted work
Audi R8 LMS
- GT3 race car for global customer racing program;
- Around 50 percent of its parts are identical to those of production sports car, including the engine
- Reinforced ASF with safety cage, exterior skin made of CFRP